Monday 30 January 2017

DMT WM1 Nix Winter Mountain Bike Shoe Review

Winter is a great time of the year for cycling. The worst bit is the extra needs it puts onto your kit just to be able to ride. Sometimes your regular stuff can still be used, within reason but when winter strikes it's often your extremities that get hit hard with the cold. That's where winter cycling shoes can provide some assistance. In summer you're looking for ventilation, whereas winter requires a further layer of protection from the elements.

High visibility DMT Nix WM1 Winter MTB Shoes

Having recently taken the plunge and ordered a pair of winter mountain bike shoes it seemed fair to share my findings. One of the first pair of real high end road cycling shoes I owned were a pair of DMT Ultimax's. Regularly seen in the professional peloton they lasted four years of heavy abuse whilst road racing and were only retired after I broke the ratchet system in a racing incident.

DMT shoes always look fast. The company seem pretty selective with the Pro riders they sponsor. a degree of exclusivity seems to work for them with Elia Viviani their current poster rider. Although in the past they've worked with my all time god- Super Mario Cipollini, Phillipe Gilbert and MTB racer Periklis Ilias.

For Winter riding I treated myself to a pair of DMT Nix Winter MTB shoes although the same model is advertised on the DMT website as the DMT WM1 for £75.

The styling is as classy as DMT has ever been with a double Boa (TM) fastening system which will suit those numb hands for easier tightening. I have quite narrow feet and whilst the dials will go pretty tight the front of the foot is a shade on the wide side for me. It's not really an issue for general riding but if I was going to use the shoes for say cyclocross racing I would ideally want a shoe that fits tighter around my feet.

Being in stealth black they're not going to conflict with your bike or kit choices and they look a very nice piece of kit for the £75 I paid. Out on rides I've had a number of envious comments whilst out on the roads so the styling seems to be very agreeable. They're arguably the best looking winter cycling shoe I've seen and available in both MTB and road cycling versions.

If you're a commuter looking for a winter cycling shoe the DMT Nix / WM1 could be ideal. They feature a broad range of reflective features. With the detailing of the DMT logo to the side being highly reflective along with the front and rear straps designed for ease of entry. If you're looking for shoes to help you be seen on those evening rides the Nix could well be what you're after,

Aside from the wide forefoot my main gripe is the rigidity of the sole. It feels rather flexible. So flexible that they'd actually be a consideration for cyclocross events where I know there's going to be some running. They're not designed as a high performance racing shoe but I might have expected a little more rigidity.

I also would have liked to have seen a little more aggressive tread pattern to the sole. There's the option of fitting studs up front however in thick glutinous mud if you spin out on a climb you need something to really dig into the ground to help you power your way upwards.

The DMT Nix is a great looking shoe although I think more a spring- autumn shoe than full on winter. I have a tendancy to wear them with overshoes for extra warmth of late although temperatures have been very close to freezing and below. I'd rather have toasty feet in the Peak District 30 miles from home than be in pain from more than just the climbing.





No comments:

Post a Comment